I know Easter is around the corner but why not plan ahead and take the time to make the mamas in your life a thoughtful homemade gift? I’ve always loved a homemade gift, it just feels like the person took a little more time, really thought about you, and didn’t just run to the store last minute and pick just any old thing up in the “Mother’s Day” section 😉
Here are a few suggestions for simple, homemade gifts that are totally customizable!
- Homemade body butters and sugar scrubs. Most mamas spend so much of their time and energy on others it is rare they take the time to pamper themselves! Give them an excuse to do just that with a homemade body butter or sugar scrub! I shared a recipe for a grapefruit sugar body scrub here and a rosemary mint and lemon vanilla whipped body butter here. You can easily switch the scents to whatever they love. Lavender would be great, or rose would be dreamy too, just add the EO of your choice 🙂 Here is a new recipe I just tried this last weekend for a white chocolate orange body butter. It smells wonderful and has a rich consistency. Next time I maaay try using a little less cocoa butter but still love how this came out!
White Chocolate Orange Body Butter
1 cup solid coconut oil
3/4 cup cocoa butter
10 drops orange essential oil
1. In a glass bowl or measuring cup add in coconut oil and cocoa butter. Place in microwave and cook the oil/butter combination until it becomes turns to liquid. I did this in 10 second increments.
2. Remove from heat and allow to sit at room temperature for 10-minutes and the glass has cooled.
3. Place your glass bowl in the freezer for 10-minutes and wait for the liquid to solidify just a bit. (Make sure it’s solid, leave longer if it isn’t solid yet, it won’t whip if it’s liquid. ) Spoon the mixture into a stand mixer (or hand mixer) add in your orange oil drops, then whip on the highest speed for 3-6 minutes or until it is light and fluffy and about doubled the size.
4. Once you are happy with the consistency spoon the body butter into a glass jar and apply the lid tightly. The body butter will last for up to six months.
2. A new plant planted by you and /or your children. I don’t know about you but every Spring we have a ton of pots sitting around waiting to be planted and I love how this is a gift that keeps on giving! Whether you give them a little plant of their birth flower, or a plant that blooms around Mother’s day or their birthday, this is a gift that grows with time and there’s just something special about that. You can even have fun painting the pot on your own or let the kiddos join in on the fun as well!
3. Homemade spices and salsas! It is so so easy to make your own seasoning if you have a decent spice rack. Play a little mad scientist and make your own taco seasoning, BBQ rub, salsas! There are so so many amazing recipes on pinterest, just pour into a cute mason jar and tie a pretty ribbon or some burlap around it and ta da! Present done! The recipe for the fruit salsa pictured is here 🙂
4. Chocolates and cookies! Who doesn’t love a sweet treat every once in a while and they always test better made from scratch. This brown sugar chocolate chip cookie recipe makes the best chewy cookies and Brittany has an amazing healthy chocolate recipe that is super yummy.
So there you go, a few homemade ideas to spoil your mamas without breaking the bank!